Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Amalgamation (or It's Been a While and I've Been Meaning to Blog About This.)

Totally random things I felt important enough to bookmark and comment on later. Well later is finally now.

1) Ten Craziest Job Perks
As someone in the market for permanent employment, I read the article above with hope that maybe my new job would offer one or two of these things. But when Google hands out free, chef-prepared lunches (they spend an estimated $72 million dollars a year on food for their employees!), Microsoft campus has it's own mall and IT firms start providing free-of-charge housekeeping, any company would be hard pressed to compete. And here I was super-excited last week when the office I was working at had chocolate covered cherries. While it wasn't free lunch, those cherries were quite tasty.

2) The Dehydration Myth
This article is linked for all those times someone told you, you don't drink nearly enough water. You need at least eight cups a day! They're right. But more importantly, they're WRONG. And for someone like myself who would choose apple or cranberry juice over water any day, it is gonna be AWESOME the next time someone tries to tell me my daily water quotient is a little low and I show them this article.

3) The World's Most Underrated Cities
Ever since my ex-boyfriend broke up with me after his semester abroad, Italy and I have had a love-hate relationship. I love it because it's beautiful and romantic and dreamy. I hate it because I can't think about it without immediately remembering that he thought so too. Ugh. And while that relationship ended years ago, I still feel like Italy's tainted. Well no more. As soon as I can get my fanny over there, I'm going to gorge myself on spaghetti Bolognese with fresh grated Parmesan and every kind of gelato I can manage. Bologna, Italy: I'm coming for you! (There are 25 great cities on this list, so be sure to flip through all the slides!)

4) BBC Dimensions
Have you ever wondered just how large the Gulf oil spill was? Or how many people were in Athens during the Peloponnisan War? Or better yet, just how big the pyramids of Giza really are? No? Well I have, because I am a NERD. If you have entertained these thoughts, then look no further than BBC Dimensions for the answer. This website allows you to input your area code and see how much space the Great Wall of China takes up in a familiar landscape. Not gonna lie, I spent like an hour on this website one day. WHEN I DID NOT HAVE THE TIME. Ah, well. Such is the way of the internet.

5) ABSURDITY
I can't even begin to tell you how crazy this was or the fact that, according to the letter sent in reply, this sort of thing happens all the time. Ridiculous. Interest piqued? Just go ahead and click. You know you want to. Hint: Copyright law totally applies here!

6) ANIMALS TALKING IN ALL CAPS and Animals Being Dicks and When Parents Text
You know when you come across a gem on the interweb and it's so good you want to share it immediately while at the same time keep it for your own laugh-out-loud pleasure? These three websites are GEMS. I laughed OUT LOUD (LOL for realz) for like TWO FULL HOURS on the parent's texting website. Dude, even my mother thought it was hilarious. You must go there and see for yourself. You must. They're so funny, they even have a book out.

:) Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment